Every so often we like to share special features and present artists who inspire, but also to help get our creativity flowing and celebrate the beautiful diversity that each and every one of us possesses. We've decided to periodically interview creatives by asking them to answer ten, sometimes off-the-wall, get-to-know-you, questions, along with showing us some of their latest work. So let's dive in.
Today's feature is from one of our founding members, Teresa Vick.
Teresa is an Artist/Photographer/Graphic Designer who lives in Vancouver, WA. Her words here inspire the work she creates encompassing fine art portraits, self-portraits, and underwater fine art.
"The essence of life falls somewhere between the all too familiar pain of reality and the too often fleeting memories of whimsical beauty, when we were able to find it." — Teresa Vick
1. If you were given $5 for a meal what would you chose to eat?
Wendy’s! Their 4 for 4 is perfect for a quick, cheap, fast food bite.
2. What would you be willing to lop off and at what cost?
I would give my _____ _____ to _____ ______.
(ie my left baby toe to spend a day learning from Brooke Shaden one on one)
Oh my goodness. I don’t know! 🙈 Simply the idea of loosing an appendage makes me cringe!!! I don’t know if there is a thing I would willingly lop off. Not unless it was to save someone in an emergency like my child or something. Ha!!
3. What jingle gets caught in your brain that drives you absolutely batty but you just can't stop repeating it? 3b. Are you repeating it now that I have made you think of it?!? (your welcome)
Actually “Your Welcome” from the Moana soundtrack. And yes! I am sing in it now because it’s on right now since my kids listen to this soundtrack ALL. THE. TIME. ugh.
4. First celebrity crush? Inquiring minds need to know!!!
Oh my gosh.... ummmmmm, I’ve never been much of a celebrity follower. But I do remember being all about the music from Color Me Bad when I was younger. Ha! So embarrassing.
5. Spontaneous or Planned? Do you create a concept for your work or do you just let inspiration side swipe you and hold on for the ride?
A little bit of both actually!! Most of my planned stuff rarely turns out the way I envisioned it. But that is what I love about the process. I love being pleasantly surprised! And when I utterly fail to get one single image, I try to go into the process with a mindset that I’m always experimenting and doing it to see what happens if I do xyz. Then it never feels like the sting of failure. Just a learning experience.
6. It's a zombie Apocalypse!! Do you make sure your camera batteries are charged before the world looses power so you can document the end of the world as we know it? OR do you grab weapons to try to defend yourself from the walking dead?!? Where do your priorities lie?!? And what would you grab?!?
Oh man, I drop everything and try and remember all the moments from Walking Dead where I thought people were being stupid and try and be better than that. Ha! I would grab clothes, and water, and find a place to stash all my canned foods. Ha!
7. What would be your first question after waking up from being frozen with cryogenics for 100 years?
What year is it??? Hahahahaha!
8. You discover a beautiful island upon which you may build your own society. You make the rules. What is the first rule you put into place?
Goodness!! Well I have questions. How big is the island? How many people will inhabit it? Too many questions. I’m not sure what the first rule would be but I do know that it would be about people and not the location. People are far more important than things, stuff, ideas, opinions, or anything material.
9. If you stumbled upon a time machine and had to use it to escape straight away, would you go to the past or to the future?!?
I would go to the past because it’s a known entity and I like to know so I can plan. 😏
10. Do you believe in intelligent life on other planets?!? (We are totally talking little green men here!!) If yes, and we had the opportunity to make a human colony on an extra torrestrial planet to teach them about human customs, would you volunteer to go?
I do believe in the possibility that there is other intelligent life out there. I’m not sure if I would volunteer though. There are too many factors that go into it to choose! Would I leave my kids behind? Who else was going with me? Could I come back after? Ha! 🙈
Thank you for taking the time to read about our Spotlight Artist and we look forward to bringing you more of these amazing features in the future along with some other fun and creative tips and tricks!
Graphic Designer since 2005 and natural light photographer producing mostly black and white images, some color, with a fine art style, located in Vancouver, WA, USA.
I love creating. I love finding beauty in the mundane and seemingly trivial. I love being a part of creating beautiful things.
I tend to be an over-sharer. So here goes. Music, movies, and imagery are God's gifts to me. I'm convinced these are the tools He chooses to communicate with me. I make mistakes everyday, try to clean up the mess alone, make it worse, then finally, as a last resort call on the One I should have in the first place. I'm desperately searching to fill the hole that only He can fill and everyday I become more convinced that it won't be filled here... and I can't wait to meet Him face to face. To finally meet who I was created for. To finally understand.